Founder & Executive Director
Cops 'N Kids Reading Center, Inc.
Julia possesses a sincere positive spirit of community. She has gone about her daily tasks touching many lives in the City of Racine and has brought about exemplary changes in the lives of individuals and the community as a whole.
Julia was employed by Racine Unified School District as a Teacher's Assistant and Home/School Worker. She also worked eight years at Goodwill Industries Future Bound Program as Case Manager for disadvantaged youth, eventually becoming program supervisor.
In 1979, Julia started working for the City of Racine as a clerk in the Police Department, and became a police officer five years later. For 17 years she served her community, dedicated to changing the general perception of Police Officers in the eye of the public. She has spent a great deal of time trying to establish closer relationships between law enforcement officers and citizens, especially children.
Children are Julia's main focus. Knowing the importance of reading and its benefits, Julia founded the Cops 'N Kids Reading Center, Inc. The Cops 'N Kids Reading Center, Inc. provides free books to all children. Tutoring is provided to all enrolled children, particularly, families who more than likely do not have constructive/educational reading material in the home. She believes we can make progress by nurturing positive experiences in the lives of children.
Julia is available for speaking engagements.
You may call Julia directly at 262-994-4072.
- Featured in "Today's Black Woman" Magazine
- Featured in "A Distinctive Style" Magazine
- ABC World News Tonight's "Person of the Year" with Charles Gibson
- Featured in Story on "Oprah's Angel Network"
- "Special Recognition" from Racine County Executive, William McReynolds
- ABC World News Tonight's - "Person of the Week" with Charles Gibson
- Modern Woodman's "Hometown Hero" Award
- Received "Women Putting Their Stamp on Metro Milwaukee" Award - USPS
- Milwaukee McDonalds Co-Op "Now that's Black History" Community Leadership Award
- FBI Director's "Community Leadership" Award
- Received Racine's First "ATHENA" Award - Racine YWCA
- Received Wisconsin State Assembly "Home Town Hero" Award
- Featured in Parenting Magazine - "Parenting Leader" Award
- Featured in People Magazine - "Hero's Among Us Award"
- Featured in "Women's World Magazine"
- Featured in "Reader's Digest"
- Featured in "People Magazine"
- "Olympic Torch Bearer" for the Winter Olympics
- "Sons of the Revolution" Award
- Six "Exemplary Officer" Awards
- Wisconsin Association of Women Police - "Officer of the Year"
- Wisconsin Professional Police Association - "Officer of the Year"
- Optimist International Racine-(Wed.) Optimist - "Law Enforcement" Award
- General Federation of Women's Clubs - "Theodora Youmans - Citizenship Award"
- "Friends of Education" Award - Racine Administrators Association0
- Featured in International Reading Association "Reading Today" Magazine
- Featured on the Oprah Show-Recipient of the "Use Your Life" Award ($100,000)
- Featured on NBC's "Today Show"
- Featured in Court TV's "Badge of Courage" TV Special
- Featured in "Parade Magazine"
- International Association of Chiefs of Police "Officer of the Year" - Honorable Mention
- Wisconsin State Reading Association's - "Celebrate Literacy Award" Recipient
- Fourth of July "Parade Marshall"
- "Woman of the Year" - UW-Parkside
- NAACP - "Youth Advocate Award"
- "Paul Harris Stellar Award" - Racine Rotary - Downtown
- The Martin Luther King "Freedom Bell Award"
- Attorney General James E. Doyle's - State of Wisconsin "Officer of the Year" Award
- Five "Excellent Police Duty" Awards
- YWCA "Woman of Distinction in Human Services"
- WITI-TV6 "Jefferson Award" Nominee
- "Outstanding Young Law Enforcement Officer" - Racine Jaycees